Tesla Hertz 2014

Tesla Hertz 2014

Frustration has hit me hard. The traffic last night and the stressful blood withdrawal I made this morning are partly to blame. But one of the main things is the fact that I’m just in taper madness mode. I did not really taper too much but it makes me feel better thinking I did.
The day before the tesla hertz trail run I did my usual thing before races. I did a shortened swim (5000) and had my traditional brown rice pasta among other stuff the night before. After getting everything ready, stressing out, having a couple of drinks( not in that order) I tried the best I could to get some sleep.
The forecast was rain. So upon waking up later than normally for a race, I walked outside to determine what I wanted to do. That’s what I usually do if I have a ride scheduled in order to see if it would be better to switch the workout. But the rain wasn’t too bad and also it doesn’t matter with running. Playing in the rain is fun except when your feet are soaked and you lose toenails.
So after eating the usual breakfast it was off to the waldbaums parking lot to get situated and get the machine coffee I always do before this run. I talked to a couple of people, read a book and hung out until the race started. Before the race was about to start me and some of the other runners I knew from last year stood under a tent chatting and trying to stay dry and warm.
We were instructed to run the counterclockwise loop and follow the blue foot trail to the aid station and the red foot trail back to the start/ finish line. All along the route there was pink ribbons to help verify you are still on the right path. At some points it looked like a breast cancer advocate spider ran around the woods and dumped pink thread everywhere. This was also the first time I just wore a regular hat backwards during the run. I wore my Devils hat as opposed to my usual running hats. Trail running is much more layer back and that’s why it is so much better. I usual go for a bandana but I wanted to show I have a little devil inside. The weird thing was the fact that at first the hat felt heavy from all the rain getting soaked in it. As I continued I got the weird flow state and knew I was wearing the hat but it felt like it was part of me. Hard to really explain and sounds crazy, that is why I love to run.
As with last year I loved the rest stop. The biker guy with the sleeve tattoos was maning it again. He was even there the next day when I road ghost along my usual Sunday route. Probably wasn’t good to go as long as I did after a race but I can’t help myself, love the bike.
On the way back to the start/finish line I forgot about the one and only big hill. It was a nice surprise considering that the course is florida flat for the most part. I got back to the start with my right knee talking to me, not too bad but it was talking. Despite having low energy And the nagging knee probably from a mix of not really running to much I Decided to try one more loop.
Upon coming to the aid station again I was in pain. On my way there I was even thinking of seeing if I could get shuffled back to the start. It’s amazing what some sugar and Advil will do for you. I really liked the HEED drink they had as well as the hammer gels. They both seemed to work really well and can’t wait to try them in training when I’m stronger and not injured. As I’m writing this I’m suffering from a left knee injury I got the Monday after the race. The right one healed up or moved to the left knee. It probably wasn’t the smartest thing to go for a bike ride the day after the race but I wanted to see how the race was progressing the next day.
So after I finished the two loops I bailed out, said my good byes, and made hast for the local red mango as a post run victory sundae.
Surprisingly I didn’t even finish it. I think it was all the junk I had to carry me through the run but I wanted to reward myself anyways. The real reward was when I got home. I got settled, ate some healthy stuff, took a shower and took the best one hour nap I ever had. These after race naps are the best reward for all the effort you put in. While I was in my endorphin induced coma I kept visualizing the downhill parts of the trail run. My leg even twitched a bunch and it felt like I was still running. Such a great feeling of peace.
The rest of the day from what I remember was just as good. Felt peaceful all day. Played some destiny I think. It was a while ago and I just remember having the endorphin high with the occasional post race depression due to finishing a big task and not having it on the agenda anymore. I still had my owl beer which is a traditional must after a running race. All in all a great day except the lingering left knee now runner injury. Can’t wait to do it next year and hopefully finish.
“it’s about making the time to do your ART”
– Barton


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s